This was an interesting read. I enjoyed the authors notes at the beginning of it. It summed up a good portion of the section very well. I believe that if there really is no real god or anything, the teachings and beliefs within most religions were essential for human survival. The only thing that we had over the rest of the animal kingdom is a more advanced brain. We learned to make tools, we learned to communicate, and we learned to gather and become organized societies. Each person in a community is there for survival but each person wants personal gain. If we had no morals and beliefs each person who lie, cheat, steal, and murder to gain a safer and more prosperous position in the community. Religion gives everyone a standardized set of morals and beliefs which makes the society grow.
This reading seems to talk about how no matter what your status in society is you'll always be with God. If you have no wealth or positions you have a gift from God. If you have a lot of wealth and positions then you shouldn't let that get in your way of being with God. However if you are rich you should use your wealth to help and protect those around you who are more needy. This idea probably helped a lot of civilizations prosper in their earlier millennia.
Friday, September 19, 2008
Bakhya Ibn Pakuda
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi Mark,
I first wanted to point out that I think your going the right way with this text. I think it is profound of you to mention that religion helps society grow and I agree with you. interestingly enough, according to some scholars the bible mentions that the only coinage (money) neccesary in life is faith. Hence the coinage of god. Kind of makes you wonder about Led Zeplins lyrics "And she's buying a stairway to heaven"...with faith perhaps?
Interesting ideas. I cant say that I really agree with them,...but thats life. The real question is that where did these ideas of what is 'wrong' come from? If there is no absolute truth in the world what makes any of these things wrong? There is either absolute truth or absolute relativity.
I would like to know what you think about the concept.
Post a Comment