Friday, September 19, 2008

Shmelke of Nikolsburg

This section was absolutely amazing. I have a very large problem reading and understanding and remembering what I read. This section though had sucked me in on the very first few words. The imagery and metaphor was very clear and and clean cut. I can't remember any reading that was this much fun since I read Enders Game over five years ago.  

The message in this section is very clear which is something I appreciate very much. If it wasn't then I wouldn't feel inspired enough to write about it let alone remember it and in the future read it again. The section is about a disciple that asks a Rabbi how he can love another person who has wronged him in the past. Everyone has someone who has wronged them and everyone has wronged someone else even if they are unaware of it. I certainly know that I've hurt someone in someway even without knowing it. It's unavoidable but if everyone held their grudges and refused to help or communicate with everyone who has wronged them, then society will break down in a matter of days.

The metaphor used in this section was fabulous. It really shows how each person can be connected to one another and with god. It also gives you a sense of how when you punish someone who has wronged you that it will come back to hurt you and perhaps even God himself. It was very clear cut and I really enjoyed this section.

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

Regarding just the bit about Enders Game, my friend and I went on a pretty long trip this summer, and she read that book over 3 times! Apparantly it's a very good book :P.

Regarding the actual substance of your blog, what you said is very interesting. The piece clearly was something that struck you and that in itself is inspiring :). The observation that everyone has essentially the same things is common is very on-point and deep.