The main part of the Upanishads that I really enjoyed was the understanding that they can't truely know or understand god. That understanding seems to bring them closer to realizing what a god is. It is a very neat concept. It seems so counter intuitive but when you sit down and think about it, it really makes sense. How do you see god or talk to god or understand god. All religions have teachings and scripture and stories about when their gods walked the earth but none of that happens now. We can hear those stories and read the scriptures but in the end they are just words. Unless one of these gods can come into existence on earth no one will ever be able to truely understand god. Until then we can only beleive.
The part that says, "...those that claim they know, know nothing." is something that I will be thinking about when I am approached by those who are so religous that they look down on others.
The section of the Upanishads mostly seems to describe what a soul is. It talks about how your body is just a vessle for your soul. Your soul will control your body like a rider controling a horse or how we control our computers. Every letter that is here isn't put here by me but rather by the computer, I just control the computer so it aranges the letters where they should be. So according to the Upanishads concept of the soul, you are the being that controls your body. You feel as though you are the body but the body can not have any action on the soul.

2 comments:
How refreshing, isn't it? A relgion that can admit that God cannot be understood... It sounds like you have also been looked down on by a couple religous folks. I also loved the quote about those who think they know God know nothing.
When I read that there is no proof and therefor proof is everywhere...it almsot made sense to me. Well, it made more sense and seemed far more logical than a man getting millions of animals in a boat, ha ha.
Sorry I'm rambling!
@ m. clement
I haven't had any particularly bad experiences from any highly religious people. I usually take their handouts and try to get away before they get more pushy. I have had a small group of people talk to my group for about forty-five minutes which was annoying but they were being friendly.
Sometimes I do notice the few religious people in town who can be very aggressive. I'll go out of my way to avoid them. They are easy to spot since they'll spend most of their time yelling at the hooligans running around.
Post a Comment